Thursday, June 12, 2008

Cappadocia

When I arrived in Istanbul, I hopped straight onto another plane to start my trip in Cappadocia. Cappadocia is a unique place in the world. For centuries, people carved homes in the stone cliffs, using them as sanctuaries, churches, tombs, and pigeon houses. I stayed in the town of Goreme, a popular base for those visiting the area. The airport is in Kayseri and from there I booked a shuttle to Goreme (about 2 hours away).


Of course, I stayed in a cave hotel (there are loads of cave hotels providing temporary shelter for the many tourists). It is called the Local Cave House and the owners are very helpful and accommodating. Laundry cost 10 YTL. There is also a pool but it had a leak that had to be fixed while I was there. For breakfast, which is included, there was as much white bread you can eat served with butter, honey, sour cherry jam (which is very popular there), and chocolate spread. Accompanying this are olives, cucumbers, tomatoes, and a hard-boiled egg. I imagine that in summer, there is a greater selection of fruits as well, although I did have some yummy watermelon while there. To drink, Turkish chai, apple tea (really instant apple cider), and Nescafe. Occasionally they would brew Turkish coffee.


Rooms were carved into the cave, as seen here.


It is said that if you take only one hot air balloon ride in your life, you should take it in Cappadocia. I didn't take a balloon ride since it is really expensive, but due to jet lag, I was up early enough to see the many balloons take off in the morning. According to the chief balloon pilot that I met, it isn't too dangerous when two balloons touch side by side (called a "kiss"), but it is extremely dangerous if one hot air balloon gets too close underneath or on top of another hot air balloon.


A potter displaying his wares.


View of Goreme.

Here I was hiking when I took the picture. In the distance is Uchisar, another town in Cappadocia. The big rock outcrop is where Uchisar castle is carved.


Here is an example of a woman living in one of the Fairy Chimney's Cappadocia is known for.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great shots. We loved that warm bread in the morning, with honey, and tea...